Join us on our Inspired by Outlander Day Tours in Scotland in 2017 and let us take you off the beaten track to the romantic castles and sweeping scenery that inspired Diana Galbaldon’s Outlander novels.
Being passionate Outlander fans ourselves, we combine references to the books and TV series with real history, myth, legend and mischief to keep everyone entertained. Although the books are set in the Highlands, the filming of the Outlander Starz TV series took place in Central Scotland, with a number of the filming sites on the doorstep of our base in Linlithgow.
Where is Lallybroch? Where is Castle Leoch?
The places from the Outlander TV series are real enough, and they are just as beautiful. But their historic names may not be as familiar. Did you know that Castle Leoch is really Doune Castle? Or that Cranesmuir is actually the royal burgh of Culross?
Choose your Outlander Tour
Because there are so many places to see, we usually recommend at least two days to see every filming location from Outlander series 1 and 2, but if you are short of time, our classic One Day Shared Outlander Day Tour is ideal for you.
You will see available and booked dates on the calendar, if the date you are interested in is showing as full please do email Emma as we can sometimes arrange for a second tour for that day. The calendar does only show the Shared booking dates and we do have guides available for Private tours. If in doubt – email us as we will always try to help get you on a tour!
The Shared One Day Outlander Tour
The Shared Outlander Day Tour is every Tuesday between the 18th April and 24th October 2017
£80 per person. This does not include entry fees or lunch.
Inspired by Outlander Series 1 when Claire first travels from post-World War Scotland to be among the Fraser and Mackenzie clans, this tour include:
- Wentworth Prison (Linlithgow Palace)
- Castle Leoch (Doune)
- Cranesmuir (Culross)
- Hopetoun House (Duke of Sandringham & French scenes in S2)
- Midhope Castle (Lallybroch)
- Fort William (Blackness)
Shared Two Day Outlander Tours – Most popular tour
The Two-Day Shared Outlander Day Tour runs between the 18th April and 29th October 2017
£160 per person. This does not include entry fees or lunch.
The two-day tour includes filming locations from both Outlander Series 1 and 2 when the action takes place among Parisien society and the Scottish clans. Many of the French scenes were actually filmed in Scotland. For example, the Gardens at Versailles are actually at Drummond Castle and the harbour at Le Havre is Dysart.
This tour includes:
- Blackness (Fort William)
- Midhope (if available)
- Hopetoun House (Duke of Sandringham & French scenes S2)
- Culross (Cranesmuir)
- Callendar House (S2)
- Linlithgow Palace (Wentworth Prison)
- Doune Castle (Castle Leoch)
- Drummond Castle Gardens (Palace of Versailles)
- Tibbermore Church (Witch Trials)
- Tullibardine Chapel (Where Rupert loses his eye)
- Falkland (Inverness)
- Dysart (Le Harve)
Private Outlander Tours
We also run exclusive private one-day, two-day and three day Outlander Tours between 14th April and 29th October. To find out more about these, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Prices start from £350 per day.
Outlander Tours between October 2017 and March 2018
During the off season (October – March) we are only offering Private Tours. Please note these are at a reduced rate as it is a shorter tour day due to locations closing earlier and the lack of daylight!
If you are considering in visiting Scotland and see the many Outlander filming location tour in 2017 or 2018, please get in touch – email@example.com
As Outlander filming is now taking place we want to say that it is our policy to respect the wishes of the production company & filming locations and we will not bring tours to closed filming sites. 16th September 2016
- Our Shared Tours Pick-up and drop-off is in Linlithgow, the heart of Outlander filming locations. How do I get to Linlithgow? Starting in Linlithgow saves valuable touring time which means you get to see more locations!! You will be at your 1st stop within 5 minutes.
- Please note entrance fees and lunch are not included in the tour price.
- If you are going to be visiting Edinburgh and/or Stirling Castle it is worth considering purchasing a Scottish Heritage Pass. There are definite savings to be made.
- Please check here for Accommodation in Linlithgow
- We can offer Private tours in the Winter Months but if weather is unsuitable for driving, we would have to cancel. A full refund would be made of course.
Disclaimer: Mary’s Meanders Outlander Tours in Scotland are inspired by Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander novels and the Starz TV series. They are not endorsed or in any other way supported by Starz or Diana Gabaldon.