Join us on our Inspired by Outlander Day Tours in Scotland and let us take you off the beaten track to the romantic castles and sweeping scenery that inspired Diana Galbaldon’s Outlander novels. We offer full one day tours, two-day tours and private tours.
Bookings are now being taken for 2018!
Being passionate Outlander fans ourselves, we combine references to the books and TV series with real history, myth, legend and mischief to keep everyone entertained. Although the books are set in the Highlands, the filming of the Outlander Starz TV series took place in Central Scotland, with a number of the filming sites on the doorstep of our base in Linlithgow.
Where is Lallybroch? Where is Castle Leoch?
The places from the Outlander TV series are real enough, and they are just as beautiful. But their historic names may not be as familiar. Did you know that Castle Leoch is really Doune Castle? Or that Cranesmuir is actually the royal burgh of Culross?
Choose your Outlander Tour
Because there are so many places to see, we usually recommend at least two days to see every filming location from Outlander series 1 and 2, but if you are short of time, our classic One Day Shared Outlander Day Tour is ideal for you.
You will see available and booked dates on the calendar if the date you are interested in is showing as full please do email Emma as we can sometimes arrange for a second tour for that day.
The Shared One Day Outlander Tour
The Shared Outlander Day Tour is every Tuesday between the 18th April and 24th October 2017, and every Tuesday and Friday between April and October 2018.
£80 per person. This does not include Entryfees2017 or lunch.
Inspired by Outlander Series 1 when Claire first travels from post-World War Scotland to be among the Fraser and Mackenzie clans, this day trip includes stops to the following locations. The itinerary may change subject to local events etc.
- Wentworth Prison (Linlithgow Palace)
- Castle Leoch (Doune)
- Cranesmuir (Culross)
- Hopetoun House (Duke of Sandringham & French scenes in S2)
- Midhope Castle (Lallybroch)
- Fort William (Blackness)
*Please note Hopetoun House is now closing on September 24th until 2018.
Minimum number required for shared tour to run is 3 people. If you are interested in September dates, please check availability here.
Shared Two Day Outlander Tours – Most popular tour
The Two-Day Shared Outlander Day Tour runs between the 18th April and 29th October 2017, and between April and October 2018 is every Wednesday and Thursday.
£160 per person. This does not include Entryfees or lunch.
The two-day tour includes filming locations from both Outlander Series 1 and 2 when the action takes place among Parisien society and the Scottish clans. Many of the French scenes were actually filmed in Scotland. For example, the Gardens at Versailles are actually at Drummond Castle and the harbour at Le Havre is Dysart.
This tour includes:
- Blackness (Fort William)
- Midhope (if available)
- Hopetoun House (Duke of Sandringham & French scenes S2)
- Culross (Cranesmuir)
- Callendar House (S2)
- Linlithgow Palace (Wentworth Prison)
- Doune Castle (Castle Leoch)
- Drummond Castle Gardens (Palace of Versailles)
- Tibbermore Church (Witch Trials)
- Tullibardine Chapel (Where Rupert loses his eye)
- Falkland (Inverness)
- Dysart (Le Harve)
*Please note Hopetoun House is now closing on September 24th until 2018 and there is now a £2 entry fee to Midhope Castle
* Minimum number required for shared tour to run is 3 people
Private Outlander Tours
We also run exclusive private one-day Outlander Tours for up to 4 people, between 14th April and 29th October. If you would like a tour of 5 or more people, please email Emma.
Private French or German Outlander Tours available by special request. Prices start from £350 per tour.
Outlander Tours between October 2017 and March 2018
During the off season (October – March) we are only offering Private Tours. Please note these are at a reduced rate as it is a shorter tour day due to locations closing earlier and the lack of daylight!
If you are considering visiting Scotland to see the many Outlander filming location tour in 2017 or 2018, please get in touch.
As Outlander filming is now taking place we want to say that it is our policy to respect the wishes of the production company & filming locations and we will not bring tours to closed filming sites. 16th September 2016
- Our Shared Tours Pick-up and drop-off is in Linlithgow, the heart of Outlander filming locations. How do I get to Linlithgow? Starting in Linlithgow saves valuable touring time which means you get to see more locations!! You will be at your 1st stop within 5 minutes.
- Please note entrance fees and lunch are not included in the tour price.
- If you are going to be visiting Edinburgh and/or Stirling Castle it is worth considering purchasing a Scottish Heritage Pass. There are definite savings to be made.
- Please check here for Accommodation in Linlithgow
- We can offer Private tours in the Winter Months but if weather is unsuitable for driving, we would have to cancel. A full refund would be made of course.
Disclaimer: Mary’s Meanders Outlander Tours in Scotland are inspired by Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander novels and the Starz TV series. They are not endorsed or in any other way supported by Starz or Diana Gabaldon.
This website and its content is copyright of Mary’s Meanders Ltd- © Mary’s Meanders Ltd. All rights reserved.